Savant is a powerful but lightweight object-oriented template system for PHP.
Unlike other template systems, Savant by default does not compile your templates into PHP; instead, it uses PHP itself as its template language so you don't need to learn a new markup system.
Why Use Savant for Templates?
- You don't need to learn a new language or markup to create a template. The template language is PHP, and the template file is a regular PHP file.
- You don't have to worry about separate directories (or permissions on those directories) for compiled template sources, because Savant is not a compiling engine (the template scripts are already written in PHP).
- Even though Savant is not itself a compiling system, you can write your own compiler and plug it into Savant; this means you can use any template markup system you like.
- The Savant source code is easy to read, understand, and extend, because it is exceptionally well-commented.
- The object-oriented plugin, filter, error, and compiler classes for Savant are easy to use, understand, and extend.
- Because your template script is a regular PHP script, you can sprinkle it with comments and use phpDocumentor to document it.